San Jose is the cultural, governmental and business center of Costa Rica. We usually advise our guests to spend your first and last nights here.
Sometimes, international travel can be tricky. the worst situation is when you have scheduled a night in a hotel four hours from the airport and then have your flight delayed! If you spend the first night in San Jose, your travel will be less stressful. By the same token, it is usually easier to spend the last night here as well. This is also the jumping off point for many day tours and for whitewater rafting.
Besides, if you have never been to a large Latin city, you should spend at least a day and a night exploring the museums, discos and the passing parade of local color. The population of San Jose is one of the most well educated in Central America. There is a very vibrant cultural scene. The local community is passionate about art and theater, and of course, music!
San Jose is also where you want to shop for delicious coffee and take time to visit the markets. The Jade and Gold museums are certainly worth a visit, and no visit to San Jose is complete without a stop at the wonderfully ornate National Theater.
So, as the locals say - "Tranquilo." Have a drink and a meal at one of the many fine restaurants, and get ready for the rest of the trip!
The per night rate for the hotels in this area are priced as follows.
$$$$: $300.00 and above
$$$: $175.00 - $300.00
$$: $100.00 - $175.00
$: Under $100.00
- PRICING. No Need to Shop til you drop. We have the best prices at the lovely small hotels that are the true gems of Costa Rica.
- SECURITY. You do not send money out of the country, nor do you pay until your itinerary is 100% fully confirmed.
- EXPERIENCE. We have been sending customers to Costa Rica exclusively since 1992. It is all we do!
- PEACE OF MIND. We know how to arrange seamless travel. Your hotel reservations will be there when you arrive, and the other services will show up as promised. No worries, no hassles.
- CONVENIENCE. One stop shopping. We can arrange everything necessary for the trip of a lifetime. No need to deal with multiple vendors.
- NO SELLING. Planning a vacation should be fun! You won't be subjected to high pressure tactics. Just great service, from travel professionals
Ceviche (also spelled Cerviche) is almost as important to Costa Rica Cuisine as the ubiquitous Gallo Pinto. It can be found all over the country. From bus station counters to high end restaurants, you will almost always find this fish cocktail on the menu.
I live in New Orleans, and I am a gumbo junkie. Working from essentially the same ingredients and spices, everyone here produces a different gumbo. All local cooks have their own recipe, and all are (usually) delicious.